We are the leading global network of edge computing for mobile interactions in emerging markets.
We are on a mission
We are building the leading global network for mobile interactions in emerging markets.
Tech Talent at Viamo
Helping people get connected and enabling better decisions is our passion, which drives us to develop cutting-edge digital technology for low-resource populations, inspired by human-centered design. Millions of people connect to our platform daily for life-enhancing information and services; they are counting on Viamo’s technology teams to deliver that experience reliably, responsively, and on the best channel for each person: SMS, chatbots, and interactive voice calls in their preferred language.
Who we are
From our Canadian headquarters to hubs in Ghana, Madagascar, and remote developers around the world, our teams collaborate across 5 continents and all time zones to deliver life-changing services that address the needs of low-resource communities around the world.
Work with us
Delivering enterprise-grade digital communication in Viamo’s markets requires a diverse team of tech experts. We are seeking software developers to help deepen our platform for multi-channel mobile interactions, systems engineers to help it scale reliably, data scientists to deliver insights from increasing amounts of data, and managers to help grow healthy, happy, effective teams.
Why we build
- Mobile connectivity is transforming the potential for people to access information and engage with a global economy. Viamo is innovating how to extend these benefits to more than 3 billion people using basic mobile phones. Rural areas around the world are often viewed as having little access to modern technology. But this is not the case. Many areas have adopted mobile phones more widely than radio communication.
- On the Viamo Platform, fishermen consult the weather forecast, farmers listen to climate-smart content that updates according to the agricultural calendar and post their crops on a local marketplace, pregnant and nursing mothers get timely information on caring for their child, and entrepreneurs learn new skills and access financial services.
What we build
Viamo’s technology teams work at multiple layers to build and maintain a multi-channel digital communication platform supporting SMS, USSD, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, and voice chats in local languages:
- To deliver mobile conversations effectively in bandwidth-limited settings, we’ve pioneered the first global network for ‘edge computing’ of interactive voice and SMS applications. In partnership with major mobile network operators, we deploy a distributed network of application servers in countries across Africa and Southeast Asia, linked to our cloud-based PaaS.
- Our cloud application allows our clients to create and monitor interactive digital campaigns using a drag-and-drop editor.
- Our data layer processes and analyzes billions of interactions to better understand Viamo’s end-users.
How we build
We work in cross-functional teams called Product Crews, collaborating across a trifecta of Designers, Product Management, and Engineers. We work in an agile methodology in small teams, releasing new capabilities after each two-week sprint. We count on the global support of our QA team, Product Support, and Network Operations Center to keep us focussed and efficient.
Benefits & Perks
Watch your work transition from design to implementation and learn how it is impacting communities around the world. We also offer additional perks.
Our growing technology hub is located in Canada. Relocation assistance is available for global Software Engineers who are interested in joining our tech headquarters in Saskatoon. Viamo offers a comprehensive relocation support package, including work permit and immigration fees, travel, and relocation costs. Additionally, we provide remote working capabilities and have Product Crews located in common time zones around the world.
Collaboration, Innovation, and Service
While Viamo serves over 30 million people globally, we still maintain the same attitude of humility, service, and collaboration our company was built upon. Technology has the power to inspire change, share information and drive growth opportunities when used ethically. We remain focused on acting in service to the wellbeing of our end-users and our teammates. For more on how we work together, see Viamo’s Values.
Our unlimited vacation policy encourages all of our employees to take time off when needed – and we make sure they do. At Viamo, we respect and trust our employees’ autonomy and consider it optimal in the long-term that each member of our team can balance work and life in a way that works for them.
Flexible Working Hours
We realize that the traditional 9-to-5 schedule isn’t for everyone. We offer flexible scheduling for our employees. As part of our global community, you can work when you’re at your best and rest when you need to.
To serve a global audience, we need a global team. We provide you with convenience and security as a remote workplace, allowing you to work comfortably wherever you are. We are learning deliberately how to build community and deeper relationships in remote teams.
Supporting learning and growth
Viamo invests deliberately in helping team members learn, for their own benefit and the productivity of the team. Take advantage of internal knowledge-sharing workshops, external training courses, access to online learning material, and time to learn.
Innovative, scalable tech stack
Count on us to provide you with a modern, exciting tech stack you can build and learn on. Work with distributed systems, real-time telecommunications, resilient queuing systems, and large-scale data processing. Develop efficiently using the latest modern frontend and backend frameworks.
“We are working to solve some of the toughest problems in the world and — through that work — solving challenging Engineering problems. It’s an incredible privilege to be able to help make a difference in the world while using my Engineering and leadership skills. Viamo is an amazing place to work; all of my colleagues are driven, highly capable and thoughtful. I’ve worked at some great companies, but working at Viamo is by far the most satisfying role of my career.“
– Darryl, Vice President, Engineering
Viamo has a rigorous but timely recruitment process. We know that both you and our hiring managers have important decisions to make. We aim to generate as much information for both of us in a short period of time. We try to complete the following steps in two to three weeks, from application to offer:
- Application through our recruitment portal
- Initial interactive conversation with our HR team
- Automated technical and problem-solving test (Omitted for Staff Engineer and Engineering Manager roles)
- Technical Interview: This is a video meeting covering technical knowledge, architecture, and systems design.
- Team Interview: This is a video meeting with multiple members of the team you’d likely work with, assessing communication, collaboration, and leadership. This is also your opportunity to ask questions of our team.
- Decision and offer
Find out more! View available positions and apply today.
Our team has been recognised for its results in developing digital technology which benefits communities in more than 30 countries.
Top 40 Under 40
In 2021 our co-founders, CTO Mark Boots and COO Louis Dorval, were named one of Canada’s Top 40 Under 40 for their efforts in using technology to meet the needs of digitally disconnected populations.
Vodafone Mobile for Good
Designed to support the development of mobile solutions for the greater good of communities and the planet, this award was granted to Viamo for our work in spreading helpful information and making important programs accessible.
Viamo and the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center’s (CIMMYT) winning entry in CGIAR Big Data in Agriculture Inspire Challenge (2017) was to create a mobile market platform in Nepal to address gaps in the country’s value chain.
Developing powerful and appropriate technology requires the creativity, ideas, perspective and talents of a diversity of people. Our open positions change frequently, and we are continuously recruiting. Check out our available positions today, or get in touch if you’re interested in Viamo’s mission but unsure of the best role for you.
Know a tech expert who would be a great fit for our team and aspires to create meaningful change in the world? Feel free to share this page with them so they can start the application process.
Take your career to the next level with a unique opportunity to co-create solutions, innovate in different parts of the world, solve interesting design and architecture problems, and develop technologies that respond to some of the world’s most important global challenges.
Join a profitable global company focused on social impact
We're building a culture at Viamo where amazing people (like you) can thrive. If you want to contribute to millions of people getting reliable information, this is the right place for you.